New entry ban from President Trump expected Monday

The White House is expected to debut a new entry ban executive order Monday, this according to senior Trump administration officials.

The order is expected to be a revised version of President Trump’s travel ban that was signed in January, which has since been blocked by a federal court.

President Trump met with Attorney General Jeff Sessions Saturday at his Mar-a-Lago estate. Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly was also at the meeting. White House officials told The Daily Brief that the new order will address some of the legal concerns raised by federal judges.

“Fundamentally, you’re still going to have the same basic policy outcome for the country,” White House senior policy adviser Stephen Miller said on Fox News last month. “But you’re going to be responsive to a lot of very technical issues that were brought up by the court.”

Trump’s first order blocked immigration from seven Muslim-majority nations: Iraq, Syria, Iran, Sudan, Libya, Somalia and Yemen.

Critics of the order labeled it a “Muslim ban,” something President Trump had advocated for while he was a candidate. Haunted by several legal complications, a federal court in Seattle blocked the implementation of the order. The stay was upheld by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit.

Despite its blocking, Trump administration officials have promised to continue defending the original order in courts, even with the president expected to sign an entirely new order.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s